November 10, 2010

Amazing Artist Emma Leonard! I found her site after so many times see her artwork on tumblr, weheartit and so many bloggers who wrote about her and upload her artworks. Here's the interview between the finders keepers and Emma Leonard:

How would you describe your style of work?
I would describe my illustrations as being soft and feminine, and both controlled and spontaneous at the same time, often capturing a sense of fluidity and movement.
What is your background and when did you start illustrating?
I have always loved to draw but kind of left it on the back burner for a long time until about twelve months ago. I was working full time in retail for a several years but found that I became really dissatisfied with doing the same thing everyday, so I took the plunge and quit my job then spent the next few months to really figure out what I really wanted out of life. I drew almost everyday and quickly realised something I had always known, that illustration was the job for me! Now I juggle studying illustration full time with freelance illustration jobs and running my own business selling prints of my work. I’m always busy and don’t get to sleep much but the sense of satisfaction I get from it all definitely makes it feel worthwhile.
Who or what inspires your work? 
So many things! Other forms of art and design, including typography, textile designs, interiors, found objects and museums, but most of all other illustrators. Some of my favourites at the moment are French graffiti artist Miss Van, Finnish fashion illustrator Laura Laine, and American painter Audrey Kawasaki. It’s probably no surprise that they all illustrate women!
What do you find most inspirational about Melbourne?
I love Melbourne because you don’t have to go far to find like-minded, creative people. And there is so much talent in this city that you could never get too big for your boots, because there is always someone else whose work is so amazing that you can’t help but be jealous!
Describe your workspace and your creative process. 
My workspace can be a little chaotic at times as I work from home. I usually start out by coming up with a concept or idea and doing some small thumbnail sketches to work up into a line drawing which is transferred down onto illustration board. My line work is usually in pencil or ink then.
What advice would you give other artists/illustrators starting out?
Create your own opportunities to get your name out there. And don’t be afraid to approach the people and companies that you would love to work with, the worst thing that can happen is that they will say ‘no’, but they might love your work or be able to offer you some valuable advice. And always keep a sketchbook near by, inspiration can come at any time…
What has been your favourite project or exhibition and why?
The past twelve months have been full of exciting projects that it’s hard to narrow it down to just one, but a highlight would have to be taking part in my first group exhibition, Ladies First, and seeing my work beside so many other talented female illustrators including Courtney Brims, Caitlin Shearer and Jo Dyer.
What did being part of the first FK Melbourne market mean for you?
It has been a big thrill to be apart of the first Melbourne event. All the people that stopped by my stall were excited to be there and were overwhelmed by the talent on show. It was also very validating to have so many people say such kind, positive things about my work.
Check out her site here! And for her etsy store here!
Harlequin 1, 2010 - Print

Print of an original ink and watercolor illustration. The image measures approx. 8 x 10" and plus a white border for framing.

This is a fine art Giclee print and has been printed on archival, heavyweight hahnemuhle cotton-rag paper. This makes for a very beautiful print that shows every detail of the original artwork.

The print is signed and dated by the artist and will come to you sealed in a cello sleeve with a stiff card backing.

Image remains copyright of Emma Leonard.

About A Girl, 2010 - Print

Print of an original ink and watercolor illustration. The image measures approx. 5 x 7" plus a white border for framing.

This is a fine art Giclee print and has been printed on archival, heavyweight hahnemuhle cotton-rag paper. This makes for a very beautiful print that shows every detail of the original artwork.

The print is signed and dated by the artist and will come to you sealed in a cello sleeve with a stiff card backing.

Image remains copyright of Emma Leonard

Tender To The Blues, 2010 - Print

This is a print of an original ink and watercolor illustration. The image measures approx. 12.3 x 8.4" and includes a white border for framing.

The image is a limited edition (of 100) fine art Giclee print and has been printed on archival, heavyweight hahnemuhle cotton-rag paper. This makes for a very beautiful print that shows every detail of the original artwork.

The print is signed and dated by the artist and will come to you sealed in a cello sleeve with a stiff card backing.

Image remains copyright of Emma Leonard.

another artworks from her. I believe you ever seen this, rite?

Follow .Happiness.
.Olive.

Templateify

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae abtore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit

0 sveet comments

Created by Olivia Patricia. Powered by Blogger.